2/22/2013

Something new: "Irish Pub" Harp Concert March 16th

There was a moment during my holiday concert in November. I'd finished a piece, the applause was over, and I just looked out into the crowd of wonderful people who'd come to see me. And I told them it was time for a serious talk.

I've known that I wanted to change the way I do my concerts and performances for a while. But you know how, sometimes, you desperately want to change but you have no idea what to do or how to do it? So I decided to just tell my audience that.

 That I was thinking big thoughts. Dreaming big dreams. 
Wanting so much for new ways of doing what I love. 

And I told them I didn't know what I would be doing for any future concerts. And then I asked them: Would they come along with me for the musical ride, no matter what format or style of music sharing I decided to do in the future?

I'll never forget the sea of nodding heads and smiling faces in front of me. My heart caught in my throat with relief and joy and freedom. Freedom to do whatever I want musically, knowing that my people would be there with me, behind me, in front of me.

And so here it is: my first new thing. And it's just in time for St. Patrick's Day.

"Irish Pub" Harp Concert
an exclusive evening with Harpist Amy Kortuem

When I was thinking about what I wanted to do for an Irish concert, I kept coming back to the feeling I got when I was in the music pubs in Ireland. The intimate settings, the avid listening, the warmth of the people crushed into the small spaces, the joyful music-making. Less "show" and more sharing art in an informal setting. And I knew I meeded to go it alone for this concert. The coordination, the details and the energy of the holiday concert were fantastic, but it was a lot - I needed to go simpler, go solo.

And so I decided to re-create an Irish music pub experience here, in my own hometown. I'm an affiliate of the Twin Rivers Council for the Arts in Mankato and will be holding the concert in the lovely gallery of the Emy Frentz Council for the Arts. I can cram in about 50 people, a few more, Irish pub-like. Pub 500 will be hosting a cash bar for audience refreshment (yeah, you don't want to hear me play after I've been "refreshed..."). The atmosphere will be warm, close and informal. We'll talk, laugh, share stories about the music. Genuine playing. Intense listening. I can't wait.

The thought makes me happy.
Very happy.

Space at the Gallery is very limited, and so I'm making my foray into selling advance tickets so there'll be no risk or rush at the door. Tickets are $20 and available at Tune Town (630 North Riverfront Drive, Mankato) and Music Mart (1014 North Riverfront Drive, Mankato).

And you can get them from me by emailing me at harpist@amykortuem.com or calling me at 507-387-2564. 

I can't wait to see you there, nodding along to the music.

4 comments:

  1. Do you remember what I requested at Dawn's birthday party?

    I think you played part of it, too....

    Stairway to Heaven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I do remember that. You're not the first and you probably won't be the last person to request that song, Mick...it's strangely lovely on the harp!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3/05/2013

    After I initіally left a comment ӏ seem to hаѵe clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- сhecκbox and now eaсh tіme a сοmment is addеd I
    gеt 4 emaіls with the еxасt same comment.
    Perhaρs there іѕ an easy method уоu cаn remοve me from that service?
    Thanks!

    my homepаge: rocket spanish software

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/05/2013

    Тhiѕ desіgn is іnсredible!

    You obviously κnoω how to keep a геader еnteгtaіneԁ.
    Between уour wit anԁ youг ѵіԁeoѕ,
    I was almoѕt mоved to start my oωn blog (well, almοst.
    ..ΗaHа!) Wondeгful jοb. I rеally enjоуed ωhat you had to
    say, and more than that, hоω уou рresented it.
    Тοo cool!

    Take а looκ at my blοg ρost:
    outdoor cushions and pillows

    ReplyDelete