12/24/2010

A harpist's Christmas Eve

Before tonight, I've never thought much about how much time I spend in empty churches. Getting the harp in early so I don't have to maneuver through milling service-goers or wedding guests. Setting up  before there are crowds to witness the quite ungraceful process. Tuning in the quiet. Getting ready to create music in the space.

Today was no different. 
I was ready for the 2:00 Service of Remembrance
at Centenary United Methodist Church
well before the congregation arrived.

Reveling in the peace and the beauty of that place.
The service was beautiful.
After playing, I lit a candle for a friend
who lost her grandmother last week.
It's hard to lose a grandma in December.
I know.

Then I drove to the Church of the Holy Communion
in St. Peter. What a perfect Christmas Eve scene.

Inside was warm and cozy and so beautiful.
The quiet before the service was magical.

And the service itself was gorgeous:
poinsettias, candlelight, harp, organ,
so many friendly voices joining together.

And the merriment continued afterward
with sherry toasts...

...and delicious treats.
(That's my infamous goat cheese, sundried tomato,
basil pesto torte. Half a pound of butter per recipe. Amen.)

Merry.

No comments:

Post a Comment