3/13/2008
A farewell song for the Cray Mansion
She’s a grand lady of a house. The original owners gifted her to the YWCA in 1927, and she’s been in public use ever since.
I can’t even count the number of times I’ve been in the Cray Mansion over my lifetime. Craft classes and guitar lessons as a little kid (I failed guitar miserably). Yoga classes and meetings as an adult. As a harpist, I’ve played at numerous weddings, parties, social hours, presentations and receptions there.
And now she’s returning to private hands. The YWCA asked me to come and play for her good-bye party. I gladly said yes, though I’m running wild with preparations and rehearsals for the St. Patrick’s concert on Saturday.
It was a nice party. After I was done playing, I tiptoed upstairs one more time. Wandered over to the spiral staircase. Ran my hand over the gorgeous woodwork.
New owners, if you’re reading — treat her well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment